There are a lot of things to dislike about going back to school: getting up early, boring teachers, homework, exams, report cards, etc. There is one bright spot, however – picking up a fresh pair of kicks. It’s an opportunity to start off on the right foot, and maybe impress a few of your friends and fellow classmates. Plus, during that really boring class, you can always sit and stare down at your clean new sneakers. With so many to choose from, we decided to make the decision a little easier. Nike retro sneakers are always a great option, so here are the top 5 retro sneaker picks for Back to School 2018.
- Nike Air More Uptempo ’96: Scottie Pippen made this sneaker legendary during his fourth championship run with the Chicago Bulls. Everything about the Air More Uptempo screams ‘90s, from the big AIR lettering plastered along the side of the upper, to the bulging visible Air Max bubbles in the sole. The latest colorway is a not-so-subtle nod to the Georgetown Hoyas and their basketball team, featuring cool grey and midnight navy. If only Allen Iverson could have rocked these back in school.
- Nike Women’s AF1 Jester XX: One of the major sneaker trends this year includes deconstructing classic sneakers and putting them back together in a fresh new way. The Air Force 1, which has been a popular basketball and casual shoe since 1982, gets the deconstructed treatment with the Jester XX. The Swoosh looks like it was ripped off and glued back on in the dark. The Nike Air logo patch was also removed from the tongue and stuck back on the heel. It’s not a sneaker for the faint of heart, as you will definitely turn heads with this playful take on the classic silhouette.
- Air Jordan 13: Jordan Brand has been releasing plenty of AJ13 colorways this year, and for good reason. 20 years ago, Michael Jordan and the Bulls won their 6th championship, and MJ was rocking 13s the majority of the way. One of the colorways Jordan wore most of the season was the white/true red/black version, which is still available online and in some stores. This is one of the greatest and most comfortable Jordans of all time, so it’s definitely worth grabbing before they’re gone.
- Nike Air Max 95: There is no stopping the iconic freight train that is the Air Max 95. This silhouette will never ever go out of style (unless people stop wearing sneakers altogether). The design is so clean, and the Air Max sole is so perfect, that every single person should own at least one pair. For the Back To School season, Nike brought back two classic OG colorways: the olive/orange and solar red/granite/dust. Both styles feature eye-popping neon Air bags with uppers that fade from dark to light. The comfort and versatility of the AM95 make it a no-brainer for the school year.
- Nike Women’s Air Max 1 Lux: Hey, guess what Nike’s motto is? In case you ever forget, it’s written all over the Air Max 1 Lux. Another current fashion trend is taking a timeless silhouette and adding extra print and logos on top of it. The white/total orange colorway really pops on the Air Max 1, and the premium leather with plush Phylon foam cushioning add even more comfort to an already cozy sneaker. Available for both men and women, the Air Max 1 Lux is a fun option for the classic Nike running fan.
Follow Drew on Instagram.